Let’s start off with a fantastic, homed cooked recipe where anyone can cook no matter your skill level, novice to celebrity chef. I bet even you can cook this… Its that easy!
My recipe is based on home cooking. Home cooking with any fresh ingredient is the best for you, especially for your body and mind. I love to cook. It does not matter where I am, I will always have a book in one hand and the other, fresh fruit. My recipe is very easy and quick. All you will need is a few basic appliances, a saucepan, a grill or oven grill for your chicken and plus your mortal and pestle. You can get any type and colour of mortal and pestle from your local kitchen supplier or homeware store. Mine has a very special place in the kitchen under the window with home grown herbs.
My recipe, Grilled chicken with warm Green Bean, Rice & Corn Salad is a unique recipe that is not only healthy but enjoyable to eat and cook. The beauty of this recipe is you can make it your own (no one will ever know) and add more ingredients or simply if you do not eat chicken you replace it with fish fillets like salmon and tuna. Perfect. You are off to a fantastic start.
Let’s roll your sleeves up and your board ready because this is what you will need:
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint or barley mint – did you know you can grow your own, it’s fresh and ready to be picked. Don’t forget to water your herb garden.
- Sea salt and ground black pepper – you can buy the twist shakers.
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin oil
- Zest of lemon and 1 full lemon – freshly picked/home grown or you can buy lemon juice but you will not have the zest which adds more flavour and texture.
- 2 or more pieces of chicken breast, preferably skin removed, but you are welcome to add the skin for more taste or personal choice. I like mine skinless.
- Olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- 400g of green beans, topped with the curls on the end
- ½ a cup of rice
- ¼ a cup of corn kennels – you can either buy them frozen or fresh.
- Fresh Garlic – you only need one piece, crushed in your mortal or use a garlic crusher. Use which ever method that suits you.
* Optional you can add a shot of Smirnoff as well, which tastes unbelievably sexy with grilled chicken and the beans.
The ingredients are pretty basic, but basic recipes are simple and grand. I am sure you got everything and are ready to cook with passion.
Now, to your instructions that will save you time and help those tummy butterflies of excitement on what your about to cook and taste.
- Pound the mint leaves, with a pinch of salt and pepper into your pestle and mortar or flavor shaker. Mix with the olive oil and half the lemon juice and zest. Now, add your finely chopped chilli with the seeds or without. Mix it up and if you like you can add a shot of Smirnoff as well – I know I did. Yummy.
- Lay the chicken on a chopping board. Slice one of the breasts horizontally, as if you were going to cut it in half. Cut it 80 per cent of the way through, and then open it up like a book. Flatten it out with the heel of your hand and repeat with the other three or more.
- Pour the mint marinade over the chicken and put to one side to marinate for a few minutes…
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the beans and corn kennels for 5 minutes – they do cook quickly. Drain and toss them or you can leave them on the stove until you are ready to serve, as your hot top/plate will keep the beans warm.
- Preheat a griddle pan or barbeque. Grill the chicken breasts for 2½ minutes on each side. Check they’re cooked through and serve with the warm beans and tomatoes.
- Tip: The longer you leave the chicken in the marinade, the better it’ll taste!
- I like to drizzle the remaining of the marinate onto the chicken when it is serving.
- Place your rice into a rice cooker with a drop of olive oil and some sea salt. You can either microwave it and just your settings to what your microwave instructs you to do – every one is different. Or, you can use the rice cooker and follow its instructions. Rice is basic to cook, but you will need to check every 3 minutes to stir with a fork and check the water. Do not add too much water as it will be come very soggy and nasty. If you make a mistake with it, you can always repeat the process with a fresh batch, plus it will go with a nice salad you make for the next day.
- Serve your meal. Enjoy!
Have a fantastic evening. Spoil yourself! You won’t forget it.
* If you enjoyed reading my recipe for a yummy dinner, I love to hear your comments. Please leave a comment if you like my post. If you enjoyed the recipe, why not subscribe so every week you have new recipes to use and try on your guests – of just yourself. Thank in abundance.
For more Recipes, visit –> here!
- Grilled Chicken is one of our Southern Favorites (janicephilippe.com)
- Meatless Monday: Avocado and corn salad (csmonitor.com)
- Cilantro-Lime Chicken Quesadillas (mapetitemaisonverte.wordpress.com)