This is perfect summer food when you’ve got a few mates round – just pile it all on a board in the middle of the table and dig in! It’s good fun food and your mates will be blown away by the combination of lemony hummus, spicy harissa and crunchy nuts. This really is summer eating at its best – just don’t forget to serve up a few ice-cold beers on the side!
What you will need in order to start:
• 12 lamb chops, French-trimmed
• a small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• olive oil
• 2 x 200g tubs hummus
• 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons harissa paste
• a handful of mixed nuts and seeds, toasted
• 3 handfuls of mixed salad leaves, washed and spun-dry
• extra virgin olive oil
Start by getting your barbecue going – it’ll need about 45 minutes cranking away until the heat has mellowed enough to cook your lamb chops.
On a big chopping board roughly chop the thyme leaves. Bash the fennel and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar with a good pinch of salt and pepper then sprinkle them over your chopped thyme on the board.
Rub the lamb on the seasoned board so the spices stick to it. Once the chops are well coated, drizzle each with a little olive oil then pop onto the barbecue, turning every couple of minutes for about 8 to 10 minutes in total.
Meanwhile, put your hummus into a bowl with a little squeeze of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of harrissa. Mix well. Bash the toasted nuts and seeds in a pestle and mortar.
Put your salad leaves in a bowl and dress with a good squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss together.
By this time your lamb chops should have had 8 to 10 minutes and be perfectly cooked. Press the meat with your finger – if it gives it’s medium rare, if it doesn’t it’s well done. Get yourself a big board and spoon your lemony hummus on to one side, top with the remaining harrissa and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Pile your salad and bashed nuts in separate plies on the board too, then stack your chops on the board, get your friends round the table and dig in. Perfect.
You are welcome to check out these recipes…
You can also watch Jamie cook up the BBQ Lamb Lollipops here.. as this is Jamie Oliver’s recipe that I love to cook and share with others. Enjoy!
- My favourite quick dish of the summer: Harissa-spiked houmous (nami-nami.blogspot.com)
- Recipe: Lamb and Couscous Salad With Chickpeas, Mint and Feta (nytimes.com)
- The Hummus wars (blogs.jta.org)
- Chickpeas, the world’s most popular bean (pbpulse.com)
- Hummus ranges from good to ho-hum (sfgate.com)
- Cook with Me Friday: Eggplant Hummus (beliefnet.com)
- Recipes: Tomato and Avocado Salad, Grilled Green Tomatoes with Creamy Basil Sauce and more (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Spicy Smoked Nuts (notecook.com)
- The Pleasure Diet: What, exactly, is a serving size of hummus? (self.com)
- Which small food processor for nut butter? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Weekend Cooking for Week Long Eats (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Delicious lamb recipes for autumn (telegraph.co.uk)
- weekend ahead (thesecretlifeofviv.com)
- imabonehead: MediterrAsian.com Blog ” The World’s Biggest Dish of Hummus (mediterrasian.com)