Origins of Madras Curry
Madras sauce is a fairly hot curry sauce, red in colour and with heavy use of chilli powder. It originates in the south of India and gets its name from the city of Madras now known as Chennai. However it has its origins in the Hindu culture and therefore is commonly a vegetarian but can be made with meat.or
Below is a Madras Beef Curry with a recipe to prepare your own Madras Curry paste however if you don’t have time then just a good ‘pre bought’ Madras Curry paste will work.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg chuck steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- steamed basmati rice, raita and mint leaves, to serve
- Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, pepper, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon juice in a bowl to form a paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add spice paste. Cook for 1 minute. Return beef to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until meat is coated with paste. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until beef is tender.
- Remove lid. Cook, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Serve with rice and raita. Top with mint leaves.
- Shortcut: You can substitute the spice paste in step 1 with Madras curry paste. It’s hot, so adjust the amount according to your taste.
Sourced From (with many thanks): Super Food Ideas – April 2004, Page 64, Recipe by Kerrie Sun
* For more great Indian Curry Recipes: visit Sitar, Authentic Indian cuisine.
* For more of my recipe, visit here!
- All About Curry and Recipe (riosambarecipes.wordpress.com)
- Beef Madras – Krasnoyarsk, Russia (travelpod.com)