Welcome to Day 29 of “How to Become a Better Person in 365 Days Challenge” (365 Challenge)!
Have you ever given advice to someone who needed it and benefited from it thereafter?
How did it feel? Did it make you feel good about yourself? Did you feel like getting out there to help more people?
It’s always a joy to be able to help someone who is in need. You experienced the joys of the sharing spirit on Day 11 – ARK (A Random Act of Kindness), when you embodied Kindness the entire day. Many of you feedback that you felt really good at the end of the day. That while it may have been challenging to uphold the kind behaviour all day long (especially if you were dealing with some problems of your own), it was rewarding to see the smiles on people’s faces and feel their gratitude at the end of the day.
I’ve found for myself that sharing what you have doesn’t make you any lesser or any poorer.
The reason is because we live in a world of abundance. Think about it – When we give, we never lose anything – we remain the same people as we were. We retain the same knowledge we had before. If anything, we gain – the joy of spreading the knowledge to someone else. The joy of knowing we just touched another’s life.
After asking someone for advice in yesterday’s task, your task today is to give advice to someone – who can benefit from it. No matter what you think, there is some knowledge you have, some experience you hold, some skill you embody, which someone else can benefit from. And that’s the challenge I’d like to present to you today.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
Your Task: Offer Advice to Someone
- Think of someone who is dealing with something you can help with. Example:
- If you have a friend who wants to lose weight and you’ve successfully achieved your ideal weight.
- If you run a successful start-up and you know people who want to launch their start-ups.
- If you are a senior at your workplace and there are juniors who could do with your help.
- If your friend wants to learn baking and you are good at baking.
- If your cousin wants to start his/her website and you have knowledge in web development.
- .. etc.
- It’s up to you on how you want to do this. An example on how to approach – ”Are you currently working on XX? I’ve experience with this. Let me know if you need any help – I’ll love to help!“.
- It’s important the person accepts your offer to help first. Do not throw your advice when people do not ask for it. It’s not only rude, but it’s also presumptuous. Some people may be doing perfectly fine and not want your advice, in which case it is not in your place to step in.
- If the person accepts your offer, then it’s your cue to step in! If not, that’s fine – just repeat Steps #1 and #2 to other people. Eventually you’ll come across someone who’d like to take up your offer. Also, just because someone doesn’t take up your offer at first doesn’t mean he/she won’t do so in the future. Allow the person some time to process your request.
- Ask what he/she is specifically seeking advice on, then let the discussion go from there.
- At the end, leave an open invitation for the person to approach you if he/she has any other questions.
- Check and ensure both of you are at the same page throughout the discussion.
- Make sure all his/her questions are addressed before you end off.
- Optional challenge to those who are up for it: Repeat Steps 1-3 to 2 other people you know today!
Day 29 Reflection for 365 Challenge
- Is there anything you learned today?
- If so, what is it? Write it down.
Share Your Feedback!
Who did you offer advice to? What kind of advice did you give? Do you think the person benefit from your advice? What can you do to make it better the next time?
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 11: ARK (Random Act of Kindness) (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 15 & 16: Take a Break – Have a KitKat! (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 28 Getting Advice (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Random Act of Kindness Day….. (amgrant.wordpress.com)
- Thoughts on advice (howtotrulylive.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 6-7: Getting Organised (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Experiments in Kindness (dinaschiaffo.wordpress.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 4: Gratitude (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)