Day 34 was for yourself and being appreciative of who you are and what you have to offer the world… Many of you posted your thank you letters to yourself openly in the comments, and I thought it was incredibly beautiful you did that even though you didn’t have to. For those of you who did that, I’d like to thank you – by sharing your letters with others, you have inspired countless others as well. You’ve made 365 Challenge a more meaningful challenge for others because of your active participation and selfless sharing.
In the letters, many of you were so earnest – the vulnerability was captivating. As I read them, I felt I was ushered into your inner world; granted a secret access no one else was privy to. It’s such a blessing to have such intelligent, driven, beautiful, conscious, and compassionate people reading “How to become a better You in 365 days blog”.
While some may skip the task because it may feel uncomfortable or awkward, you gamely took up the challenge and wrote the letter, in the process processing issues which you may have tried to avoid in the past. You courageously strove forward and did the task, face on. This is truly fantastic work, and truly reflective of the spirit of 365 Challenge which I want to promote and uphold. I’m so proud of all of you.
Remember never to stop loving yourself. In amidst of our journey towards betterment, remember the person who has been carrying us through this journey, and the person who will continue to bring us forward, is ourselves. Bashing ourselves up, depreciating ourselves, blaming ourselves, making ourselves feel bad for every single thing that happens, self-punishment, etc is hardly a sustainable and happy way to go through this journey. To be in a place where you can give love to others, you’ve to first learn to appreciate and give love to yourself.
Now, let’s move to today’s task!
Day 38 – Uphold a Positive Character Trait
Today’s task will take about 20 minutes, after which you’ll follow your plan for the day.
Last week on Day 5, we worked on our character boards. Many of you had repeatedly told me how it was your favorite task for Week 1 – and I could feel your excitement while reading your comments.
Without a doubt, the process of creating a character board is a lot of fun – and seeing the output at the end of it creates a feeling of unspeakable satisfaction. That’s because we’ve now crystallized the image of what it’s like to be our ideal self – and the realization that our ideal self is right within our reach, if we work towards it consciously, gives us a renewed sense of excitement, inspiration and even, hope.
For those of you who’ve completed your character boards, where did you put it? Have you been reviewing your board regularly? Have you been living in line with your 5 core ideal traits?
Of course, being a better us doesn’t just stop with creating a board and putting up images of who we want to be. This is just an initial step. Like we learned on Day 10, we need to follow up with concrete action for any of our intentions to manifest into results.
For today’s task, we’re going to do exactly that. We’re do this one step at a time – today’s focus is to uphold a positive character trait we want to build. For the next couple of weeks, we’ll have more days where we integrate more desired positive traits and address some of the negative traits we identified on Day 2.
Now, let’s start!
Your Task: Uphold a Positive Character Trait
Take out your character boards from Day 5! For those of you who’ve not finished your character boards yet, it’s okay. Think about the 5 core ideal traits you want to have in your ideal self first before you proceed.
Now, pick out the top character trait you’d like to work on, from your board.
- What is the top character trait you’d like to work on today?
- Rate yourself on this trait on a scale of 1-10.
- Example: Let’s say your #1 desired trait is Femininity. You rate yourself 2/10 in it.
- Example: Continuing on from the Femininity example: I rate myself 2/10 because I don’t think I’m a very feminine person. I’m often loud and boisterous. I don’t adhere to proper etiquette even though I may know them at the back of my head. I can be abrasive and overly forward at times, which I’d rather not be. I’m not dainty – or not as dainty as I’d like to be.
- List down all the criteria needed to have a 10/10. Be as comprehensive as you can.
- Example: Being 10/10 in Femininity means…
- To listen to others before I speak.
- To conduct myself in a civilized and cultured manner.
- To sit/stand in an upright posture as much as possible.
- To be dainty in my actions.
- To have good table manners.
- To spread unconditional love and warmth to everyone else.
- To always be smiling and happy, even if things may not go the way I like.
- To be nurturing rather than being abrasive; To be encouraging rather than being critical.
- To be “soft” and graceful in my actions, rather than hard and forceful.
- This plan reflects the key steps you need to take to achieve your 10/10 in your desired trait.
- You should include a timeline where relevant.
- Example: My 10/10 Femininity Action Plan:
- Listen to what others I have to say before I speak. I will not interject unless the person is done talking, or there is an appropriate opening. – Ongoing
- Read up and learn more about dining etiquette, then adhere to them. – Today, Aug 13
- Greet everyone with a warm smile. – Ongoing
- Record myself talking/walking with a video cam, then review to see my blind spots – Today, Aug 13
- Refer to the visualization exercise on Day 11: ARK (A Random Act of Kindness).
- Imagine you’ve now been infused with pure, sheer <your desired trait> energy. So if your desired trait is Ambition, imagine being infused with 100% pure ambitious energy. If your desired trait is Assertiveness, imagine every ounce of you is now filled and overflowing with assertiveness.
- Now, imagine you have a huge neon sign above you that screams your desired trait in big, bold, letters. So if you want to build Femininity, there is a huge sign above you that says FEMININITY.
- You are the now ambassador and embodiment of your desired trait (e.g., Ambition, Assertiveness, Femininity, etc). It’s up to you uphold this in as true a manner as possible.
Day 13 Reflection for 365 Challenge
- Is there anything you learned today?
- If so, what is it? Write it down.
Share Your Answers!
What is your #1 desired trait you want to build today? How much do you rate yourself in this trait? What does it mean to be 10/10 in this trait? And what is your action plan to be 10/10 in it?
Share in the comments, then live true to this trait for the whole of today. Report back at the end to share your progress!
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 37 Getting Your Jazz In Order (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 5: Creating a Better Person (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 2: Understanding Who Are You?! (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 21: Getting Organised (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- What do you do if you are going out with someone but fancy your best friends boyfriend who is your boyfriend’s best mate (wiki.answers.com)
- Read and Write 180-Day 53 (6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com)