Welcome everyone! Today is Day 48 of How to Be a Better Person in 365 Days Challenge! There are now 317 days left before the end of 365 Challenge!
Day 49 – Day of Virtue: Emotional Generosity
Today’s task is a day long task.
Emotional generosity – The act of giving positive emotions to others without expecting anything in return.
Emotionally generous people continuously brings happiness, love and positivity to others, without expecting anything in return. They are constantly thinking about how they can make others around them feel better. They love praising others, rewarding people, recognizing the talents in others, showing signs of appreciation, among other positive emotion inducing actions.
Emotional generosity is one of the most beautiful virtues one can have. It’s item #38 on 101 Ways To Be a Better Person.
I used to be a very emotionally stingy person. I would look at people, and think about them with a level of criticalness. I would be with people, and think about myself and my problems, rather than about them and how I could be a better friend to them.
This changed when I started meeting emotionally generous people. People like my ex-bosses from my previous workplace, my previous mentor and some of my ex-colleagues. They made me realize that when you are emotionally generous to others, you don’t lose anything. That when you are emotionally generous to others, you bring more joy to others in ways that you do not even realize. That when you are emotionally generous to others, the world is becomes a better place.
Since then, I have made emotional generosity a part of my core self. Today, I make it a point to bring positivity to everyone I meet. I make it a point to make people feel better about themselves during our time together, as long as it’s within my means. On the same note, when I see people, I only see the goodness in them. I see their abilities and talents, which are screaming to be maximized. I see the unlimited potential in them to be whoever and whatever they wish to be. I see the beauty of their souls, glowing underneath their physical selves.
Today, your task is to be a beacon of Emotional Generosity.
Your Task: Be Emotionally Generous Today
You’ll now be entering the Day of Virtue Room. Get ready…
Imagine you’re standing before a room that’s bursting with warm, golden light. The light is so bright that you can see it bursting through every opening, every nook and cranny from inside the room to the world. It’s literally overpowering everything in your surroundings.
As you walk up to the door, you see the word “Emotional Generosity” written on it. This is when you realize this is a room filled with pure, sheer, unadulterated energy that’s filled with emotional generosity.
Your task today:
- Step into the room.
- Imagine yourself being basked, from head to toe, in the pure energy. The light is so powerful that it penetrates into your body and reaches into the core of your heart.
- As it does that, it somehow unlocks something inside you, deep in your soul. Suddenly, a strong beam of light starts to shine from inside your heart, first illuminating your whole body, and bursting into the world out there.
- This occurs for a good 5-10 seconds, before the light fades away. You’re now radiating a positive glow; an luminescent aura that. There’s no doubt about it – you’re now a different person from before you stepped inside. You’re now filled with emotional generosity, inside and out. Every fiber of your being, every cell in your body, is now filled with pure energy of emotional generosity.
- Give praise – unabashedly. Find something good to say about everyone you meet. Make sure they are genuine and from the heart.
- Ensure everyone walks away from you today, feeling better than before they spoke to you.
- Be a smile magnet – Beam everyone, be it strangers or friends, with a huge smile!
- Think about the things you appreciate in your friends and let them know that.
- Encourage your friends who are facing some obstacles at the moment.
- Give a huge hug to everyone you meet!
- List down the Acts of Emotional Generosity you are going to do specially for Day 20, not actions you’ve already done in the past, not actions you normally do, nor actions you did during Days 1-19.
- There is no limit for Emotional Generosity – even if you’ve always been conscious about being generous to others, push yourself and see what other Acts of Emotional Generosity you can do for today. You’ll be amazed by what you can come up with.
Day 49 Reflection for 365 Challenge
- Is there anything you learned today?
- If so, what is it? Write it down.
Share Your Answers!
What acts of emotional generosity did you do today? How was the experience? What have you learned?
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 27 Day of Virtues: Generosity (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- Be a Better You in 365 Days Challenge – DAY 17 Discover Your Values (becomeabetteryouin365days.com)
- #189: Generosity (ilovethishusbandandwifestuff.wordpress.com)
- Gratitude Always Leads to Generosity (asjulesisgoing.wordpress.com)