Time: 1hr, 20 mins |Ingredients: 16| Easy to Cook | Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon Alfa One rice bran oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons gravy powder
- 500g celeriac, peeled, chopped
- 300g desiree potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup hot milk
- 50g butter
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Add stock, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Stir in peas. Simmer for 5 minutes. Combine gravy powder and 2 tablespoons cold water in a bowl. Stir into mince mixture. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Step 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place celeriac and potato in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Return to pan. Add milk and butter. Mash until smooth. Spoon mince mixture into four 1 1/2 cup-capacity baking dishes. Top with mash.
- Step 4Top with cheese. Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.
To freeze: Make recipe to end of step 3, omitting cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
To thaw: Thaw in fridge overnight. Sprinkle with cheese. Continue with step 4.
Recipe by Cathie Lonnie
- Clams in Spicy Brodetto with Garlic Bread (meatballsandmilkshakes.com)